Choosing the right dirt bike for younger riders can get a little overwhelming with all of the current options on the market. Many parents new to the sport look at engine displacement as a reference to rider size, and while this can be a good starting point, there are a few other factors to keep in mind when choosing the right dirt bike for your pee wee or youth motocross rider.
A couple of things to consider: how old is the rider? How tall is the rider?
Here is a basic seat height chart based on rider height:
- 6′ and up – 37.5″ or taller seat height
- 5’10” – 35 to 39″ seat height
- 5’8″ – 34 to 38″ seat height
- 5′ 6″ – 34 to 37″ seat height
- 5’4″ – 33 to 36″ seat height
- 5’2″ – 31 to 35″ seat height
- Kids 10 to 12 years old – 26 to 31″ seat height
- Kids 7 to 9 years old – 24 to 28″ seat height
- Kids 7 or younger - 23" or less
Size chart provided by Dirt Bike Planet
A good place to start for beginner riders is finding a bike that they can touch the ground when seated. There are methods for modifying ride height on larger bikes such as adjusting suspension sag, aftermarket seat covers and even more involving fabrications.
Dirt Bikes For Children 7 Years and Younger
There is a good variety of dirt bike models for 7 year olds and younger, smaller riders. You have the option of 2 stroke, 2 stroke oil injected, and 4 stroke engines much like you would when shopping for adult sizes.
Dirt bikes for this age group and size would be 50cc. For very young riders, a 2 stroke 50cc single speed such as a Yamaha PW50, or Suzuki JR50 is going to be the most simple option for your child to learn on.
Here is a list of popular 50cc dirt bikes for kids:
- Yamaha PW 50 (2-stroke oil injected, single speed, 19.1" Seat Height, 82 lbs Dry Weight)
- Yamaha TTR 50E (4-stroke, 3 speed automatic clutch, 21.8" Seat Height, 119 lbs Dry Weight)
- Honda CRF 50 (4-stroke, 3 speed automatic clutch, 21.6" Seat Height, 104 lbs Dry Weight)
- Honda XR 50 (4-stroke, similar to the CRF 50)
- Cobra CX50 OI (2-stroke oil injected, single speed, 22" Seat Height, 79 lbs Dry Weight)
- Suzuki JR 50 (2-stroke oil injected, single speed, 18.9" Seat Height, 84 lbs Dry Weight)
- KTM Mini Adventure (2-stroke oil injected, single speed, 20.9 - 21.7" Adjustable Seat Height, 83 lbs Dry Weight)
This range of bikes still offers options for varying skill levels, and most are designed with safety in mind. The Yamaha PW50 uses a shaft drive as opposed to chain and sprocket that reduces the risk of clothing and hands from getting caught in the drive train.
Quite a step up would be the Honda CRF and XR 50 models as they are a bit taller and feature a 3 speed automatic clutch. These models are driven by a chain and sprocket, but come standard with a chain guard which helps protect the rider and does a great job at keeping sticks and brush from getting caught.
The KTM Mini Adventure is overall a quality bike, with a higher price tag. You'll be able to adjust seat height rather quickly, which can be an excellent option for parents that are looking for a bike that will fit for more than one or two seasons.
Dirt Bikes For 7 Years and Older
This is a popular starting range for new riders. Dirt bikes for this range can vary a bit more widely from 50cc to 150cc.
Seat height > engine displacement
Depending on the height of you child, you should be considering a dirt bike that fits rather than one that will fit in the future. If proper seat height is 22" or less, check out the list of great options above.
- Honda CRF70F (4 stroke, 26.1" Seat Height)
- Honda CRF80F (4 stroke, 28.9" Seat Height)
- Honda CRF100F (4 stroke, 30.9" Seat Height)
- Honda CRF150F (4 stroke, 32.5" Seat Height)
- Suzuki RM85 (2 stroke, 33.5" Seat Height)
- Suzuki RM85L (2 stroke, 34.4" Seat Height)
- Suzuki DR-Z125 (4 stroke, 30.5" Seat Height)
- Suzuki DR-Z125L (4 stroke, 32" Seat Height)
- Yamaha YX85 (2 stroke, 34" Seat Height)
- Yamaha TT-R125E (4 stroke, 30.5" Seat Height)
- Yamaha TT-R125LE (4 stroke, 31.7" Seat Height)
- Kawasaki KX65 (2 stroke, 29.9" Seat Height)
- Kawasaki KX85 (2 stroke, 33.1" Seat Height)
- Kawasaki KLX-140 (4 stroke, 30.7" Seat Height)